PD Dr. Yoon Phaik Ooi
I grew up in Malaysia and spent my most of working life in Singapore. Exposure to these multicultural and multilingual countries have deepen my understanding and appreciation for differences and diversity. Eventually, I met my Swiss husband and moved to Switzerland in 2008. Living here further enriched my life but also brought about a lot of challenges – finding work, learning the Swiss culture, raising children in an unfamiliar environment, making new friends, and many more. From this experience, I understand what families face when relocating to Switzerland. Trained in counselling psychology, I have worked at universities and psychiatric clinics in Singapore and Switzerland and collaborated with clinicians and researchers from various countries. With this background, I am motivated to use my knowledge and skills to support families in developing resilience and in creating a life-enriching experience while living in Switzerland.
Training and Qualifications
- PhD (Counselling Psychology), Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
- Habilitation: Evidence-based Diagnostic Procedures and Therapeutical Interventions in ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders, University of Basel
- Independent Trainer for Autism Diagnostic Interview – Revised (ADI-R)
- Achieved Research Reliablity on the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)
- TEACCH Classroom Training and Advanced Seminar Topics
Emma Jones MSc
Coming from an international family and having experienced multiple international moves as a child, I can fully relate to the excitements and challenges associated with the expatriate life. Having trained as a developmental clinical psychologist and later as a cognitive behavioral psychotherapist, my experience of working with the expatriate population and the multiple demands which they seek help for sparked my interest to invetstigate the underlying processes involved in adaptation during cultural and geographical relocation processes. Together with my colleagues, our research aims to develop a empirically-derived framework to help families through their relocation. I am excited to be part of the team and to contribute to providing the most efficient support to expatriate families arriving in Basel.
Qualifications and titles
- Master of Science in Developmental Psychology
- Postgraduate trainings and certification in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
Marnie Reed MSc
I am a clinical psychologist who has lived abroad for most of my life. Originally from Australia, as a teen I moved overseas with my family and have been travelling ever since. I know from my personal experience that moving between countries offers many amazing opportunities, but also significant challenges. Working as a psychotherapist at the University of Basel has given me further understanding of difficulties that international families and individuals may experience. This community clearly has very unique needs and qualities, and our goal is to better understand and support these needs through our research and clinical work.
- Masters in Clinical Psychology (Australia)
- Postgraduate training in Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
Prof. Dr. Jens Gaab
Work-related relocations and mobility has become part of our life and I know from personal experience how enriching and interesting, yet challenging and taxing that can be. It's not just moving places, it's moving lives. We still do not fully understand all the factors and forces that promote and ensure both a sucess work-related performance and a high quality of life for everybody involved, i.e. the family, the partner and friends. Therefore, our team at the University of Basel is running ambitious research projects on this matter as well as it offers tailored and evidence-based services for internationals and their families. We all have an international background, are active in research and are fully equipped and accredited to help and support you.
Training and Qualifications
- Fully credited psychotherapist by the Federal Office of Public Health
- Full Professor for Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Faculty of Psychology, University of Basel